POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista : Re: Complains about Vista Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:17:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complains about Vista
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jul 2008 07:29:44
Message: <48734fa8$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Have you tried editing a 10MP photo?

Nope. And neither has anybody else I've ever met. Generally it's a case
of "here's a photo, can you clip the edges to center his head? OK, now
print that 3 times." Requires almost no RAM at all.

> Have you tried editing a full-HD video clip using your PC?

1. Where in the name of God are you going to get HD video data from?

2. Assuming you edit something, where are you going to play it? Nothing
supports it yet.

3. Why would you need lots of RAM? Surely you just need a huge harddrive?

>> basically the cheapest thing in the shop.
>
> While that may be true, I highly doubt that a PC would not have been
> available at the time for under 1000 pounds.  WHen was it and what
> spec?  We bought a P166 32MB in 1996 (IIRC), it cost something like 800
> pounds and certainly wasn't the cheapest one available.

IIRC, it was about 1994. Back in those days, having a "home computer"
was considered somewhat unusual. I don't recall what spec; I think it
had 8 MB RAM and a 66 MHz CPU of some kind. Short of going back in time,
that's all I can tell you.

>> I just checked online. A copy of Vista that doesn't say "upgrade" on

> Where the hell are you looking?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119995

Found it on their front page.

> Of course, a company like Dell who buys in bulk will get it a lot
> cheaper.

Probably.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/