POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photons and simulating a data projector : Re: Photons and simulating a data projector Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photons and simulating a data projector
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 8 Jul 2008 07:12:42
Message: <48734baa@news.povray.org>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:

> Paul Bourke wrote:
>
>> Any comments on why the following doesn't work
>>     http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/tmp/sim/testmodel.zip
>
> According to the docs, the alpha channel is used for *non-filtered*
> transparency (i.e. transmit instead of filter)

I just looked into the sources and the corresponding code
lines are in image.cpp (ColourMapImage::GetRGBFTValue)

   transm = 1.0f - e.filter;
   filter = 0.0f;

So, if you really need it, it would probably be reasonably easy to
build your own executable which uses filter instead of transmit.

On the other hand, these lines are marked with:

   // TODO - should alpha be converted to filter and transm? [trf]
   // currently we just return (1.0-alpha) as transmit, this isn't
   // a good solution. [cjc]

I think a clean solution would be to allow to specify
something like "filter alpha" in an "image_map" to indicate
that the alpha channel shall be used for filtering.