POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : normal on/off in 2-pass radiosity : Re: normal on/off in 2-pass radiosity Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:30:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: normal on/off in 2-pass radiosity
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 8 Jul 2008 03:43:45
Message: <48731ab1$1@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> schreef in bericht
> Jim Holsenback <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> sometime ago I remember a post that offered if you
>> don't care about normals just turn it off as it slows things down. I did
>> small test and it does indeed.
>
>  Normals do indeed slow down radiosity, but they also make a difference
> if normal perturbations are relevant and visible on the surfaces. Without
> 'normal on' (and without any actual light source) the surface is rendered
> smooth, as if it didn't have any normal perturbation at all.

Exactly. In general, I never turn normals on in radiosity for that reason,
and in many scenes it is not a big issue if normals are nor really shown.

However, now that I have a scene where normals would possibly play a part, I
was wondering where to do that. As Jim writes, the 1st pass seems to make
more sense, but it is also collected on a (much) smaller render so, in the
final pass where normals are turned off, are we not going to miss something?
I suppose everything depends on the size difference between 1st pass render
and final render...

Thomas