POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Nonlinear distortion of <x,y,z> possible? : Re: Nonlinear distortion of <x,y,z> possible? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nonlinear distortion of <x,y,z> possible?
From: Chris B
Date: 7 Jul 2008 16:06:44
Message: <48727754@news.povray.org>
"slehar" <sle### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

> But neither of the three will allow me to use pre-defined patterns such as
> checker, wood, brick, hexagon, and apply a distortion to them, will they?
> So I
> would have to re-write the code for those patterns in order to apply the
> distortion to them?
>
> Is there a way to pass a distorted <x,y,z> to those patterns? Something
> like
> this?
>
>  pigment {
>    checker (invergence(<x,y,z>)) // Passing distorted <x,y,z> to Checker

You can use a pre-defined pattern such as checker, wood, brick etc. in a
function. You can then mathematically distort the function and use the
resulting function in a pigment. I see that SharkD has provided a link to a
wiki page that describes that sort of approach, albeit to achieve a somewhat
different result.

I just wanted to throw into the discussion the idea of using the black_hole
warp, which can give you a visual effect that is somewhat similar to the
image of a striped cylinder that you linked to. It should be a lot simpler
to implement if you just need it to illustrate a story, but may not be
sufficiently mathematicaly accurate for your needs.

Regards,
Chris B.