POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Sanity test of full installer : Re: VirtualStore in Vista and file relocation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VirtualStore in Vista and file relocation
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 7 Jul 2008 15:45:50
Message: <4872726e@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in
message news:4871f492@news.povray.org...
> Bob Hughes wrote:
>> Got around to removing the beta 27 through Add/Remove Programs (no
>> uninstaller for the beta yet?), removed the subfolder out of
>
> that *is* the uninstaller (at least, the 'correct' way of uninstalling).
> or
> you could just run the installer again (not intuitive, but that's MSI's
> for
> you). the use of a stand-alone uninstaller seems to have more or less gone
> out of vogue.

I see... ok. This was something in the 3.6 installation so I noticed it
missing from 3.7. And I actually shouldn't have said "Add/Remove", thinking
back to XP there since Vista just calls it Uninstall now (like that matters!
heh).

>> C:\Users\*name*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\POV-Ray for
>> Windows
>> v3.7
>
> http://www.itwriting.com/blog/141-peeking-into-vistas-virtual-store.html
> gives some background. the current beta should not write anything to the
> program files folder.

Showing my ineptitude by not knowing what all Vista encompasses by now,
having used it for the past 8 months. Apparently I can set POV to Run as
Administrator and bypass the VirtualStore "feature". I wasn't before now
simply because all appeared to be correct with both 3.6 and 3.7 beta.
Interestingly, there's only a biscuit.bmp in a 3.6 scenes\advanced subfolder
there. However, 3.6 obviously caused Vista to put something there for it
too.

Speaking of the scenes folder... realizing the 3.7 beta is putting one into
the other path at

C:\Users\*name*\AppData\roaming\POV-Ray for Windows v3.7

and none into the usual place at

C:\Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows v3.7

I guess the confusing thing for me is how that, together with the other
potential file placement above, will affect things. Would it be possible to
have the installer ask to create a location for scene files? Maybe default
to C:\Scenes\ and likewise for a file output location, such as
C:\Renderings\ while I'm on the subject of default file locations.

The way the new beta installer does things has probably been planned awhile
and I'm just wondering if this was all thought about already-- or if the
Vista OS is causing some extra complications to arise.

Only now read a little more about VirtualStore... it's mentioned it might
not always exist in the future.

/*bob hughes*/