POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fun with cryptography : Re: Fun with cryptography Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fun with cryptography
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Jul 2008 12:42:11
Message: <48724763@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 21:54:46 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> You can send them to me. ;-)  (Seriously, you can place the order, it
>> might just take a little longer to get there)
>
> More to the point: apparently I have to sign up for a new, seperate
> account. (I can't just reuse my UK one.) FTW?

It amazes me how many companies don't understand the idea of identity
management.  I work with a company on course evaluations and I have 3 or
4 different logins for different "roles".  I should go work for them and
show them how to manage the identities - would make it so much easier for
their customers.

>>> (Just another example of the self-evident fact that Americans
>>> typically don't comprehend that there are parts of the world that
>>> aren't America.)
>>
>> Be careful about generalizations.  There are quite a few of us who do
>> understand that we're not the entire world.
>
> I did say "typically". I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who know
> more geography them me. (Wouldn't be hard, would it?) But unless it's
> just the policy of my particular company to only hire stupid people,
> most of them seem to interlectually comprehend the fact that the UK
> isn't the USA, but on a practical level forget this fact at every
> possible juncture.

Sorry, were you talking? ;-)  (Just kidding)

Well, I don't know where your company's offices are here in the US or how
widespread they are, nor do I know how big your location is in the UK.  I
worked once for a company that was headquartered in Austria - never
actually did have any dealings with people in that office, but we were
run *mostly* independently of the parent, too.  I think in the 3 years I
worked there, my boss made 2 trips to Austria and Germany.  I never knew
anything about their infrastructure at all, other than that they had an
AS/400 of some sort.

Jim