POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Management perception : Re: Management perception Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Management perception
From: Tom Austin
Date: 7 Jul 2008 08:17:15
Message: <4872094b$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> It just annoys me when some manager says "we should do X". And I
> carefully explain "X is a bad idea because of A, B, C, D, E and F". And
> the manager says "...yeah, well, I don't think those are problems". I
> mean, WTF can you say to that??
>
> Poor decisions are one thing. When you carefully explain why a dicision
> is bad, and you get a reply that says no it isn't - no explaination,
> just "I think you're wrong" - it's rather irritating.
>
> Or when I say "I need to do X", and they say "nah, I don't think that's
> necessary". Er, well actually, yes it is. But hey, they're not the ones
> who are going to get screamed at when the auditors can. I am.

As I read the posts it occurred to me that there is another aspect of
the situation.

How are you perceived at being able to do your job?

This isn't about your actual capabilities, it is what you are able to
project to the manager.

If your manager sees you as young, immature, or unconfident, he may
dismiss your expert views.

If your manager sees you as smart and confidant your wildest suggestions
may be taken without question.

I know I struggle with this.

Tom