POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Sanity test of full installer : Re: Sanity test of full installer - installed OK after uninstall Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sanity test of full installer - installed OK after uninstall
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 7 Jul 2008 02:10:20
Message: <4871b34c$1@news.povray.org>
Got around to removing the beta 27 through Add/Remove Programs (no
uninstaller for the beta yet?), removed the subfolder out of
AppData\roaming and retried the install with User Account Control off. I'd
have tried it with UAC on but didn't take the time to find out what that
route might do, sorry.

Nothing went wrong at all. Rendered the demo files and benchmark afterward,
too. Perfect.

What's really thrown me for a loop is where I discovered my POV files were
being put. A little oversight by me, I suspect, maybe missing a note given
somewhere about them going elsewhere now. Perhaps a few months ago I had
done a beta /install switch, so maybe that's when it started. This folder I
was never aware of is:

C:\Users\*name*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows
v3.7

Only subfolders in there are \help and \scenes, which is probably known to
you, Chris, but if I hadn't been looking for files to backup during this
beta 27 install I doubt I'd ever have noticed. Although, I do recall
something said about making some changes to file locations. Unfortunately I
haven't been paying enough attention lately.

This is a very curious thing to me, since somehow I was opening, rendering
and closing about a dozen files these past few months (yep, other than a
particular one I haven't been busy with POVing) without realizing the change
from the usual folder path I'm accustomed to in C:\Program Files.
So in doing file backups before installing then replacing them into the new
C:\Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows v3.7 folder, and opening into POV,
suddenly I was seeing older changes and incorrect file dates. Using Save
as... wasn't showing me enough of the path so I mistakenly thought it was
still in the pre-beta place.

Hope this makes others who aren't aware of this as of yet keep from losing
or mixing up their files.

I guess the most important question to ask would be, how are files going to
be accessed for backup purposes (among other typical file processes) by the
end user if this location isn't obvious?

Oh, and thanks once more to all involved with the work on these beta(s).
--
/*bob hughes*/