POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Formatting speeds redux : Re: Formatting speeds redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Formatting speeds redux
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jul 2008 20:21:48
Message: <4871619c$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Interestingly enough, in NTFS, if all the data fits in the same sector
>> as the inode[1], it goes into the same sector.
>
> ....which the result that if you have many hundreds of tiny files in a
> single directory... the directory structure becomes rather large and
> slow to traverse. ;-) (Still better than wasting half your harddrive
> though!)

Are you joking? Or are you serious? Because from what I understand, the
directory structures have nothing in them but names and pointers into
the master file table (which stores the file records that are the
equivalent of inodes). In other words, the directory hasn't anything to
do with the files, and doesn't get bigger just because you're storing
small files.

I could be wrong about that, tho, if you actually have information that
says otherwise.

> I thought that would be problematic. ;-) But it at least exists though?

On some file systems, yes.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: