POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paraniod : Re: Paraniod Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paraniod
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jul 2008 13:48:57
Message: <48710589@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> That's good to know - I know this can be implemented a number of
> different ways, and not being a Windows user, I wasn't sure which method
> was used.

The main drawback, of course, is that you're still limited by your login
password's length. You can't have a 90-character pass phrase locking the
files like you can in some other systems.  But it's probably good enough
to keep out random curiousity seekers, general laptop thieves, and so
on. Just don't store your child porn that way and expect to get away
with it.  I wouldn't trust lives to it, but it *is* convenient that you
can encrypt some files and not others.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that if you (say) encrypt files on a USB drive,
the actual private key to decrypt the files isn't on the drive itself.
Rather, it's only stored on the C: drive on the machine you log in
to[1]. So if you encrypt your backups, it's probably pretty secure, and
certainly better than nothing.

[1] Bonus points to any flames about AD, that you can install windows on
something other than C:, and so on.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: