POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Toroidal warp : Re: Toroidal warp Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Toroidal warp
From: Chris B
Date: 6 Jul 2008 04:06:43
Message: <48707d13$1@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.48704526a2e11e9c1a157cba0@news.povray.org...
> I'm having a separate problem now with the same warp. This problem applies
> to a
> regular toruse, not the "lemon" I was having problems with earlier. I
> can't
> figure out how to put the seam of the texture at the outside (farthest
> from the
> origin) of the torus as opposed to the inside (closest to the origin).
> Even if I
> reverse the orientation the seam is still on the inside.

The code below should place the horizontal seam on the outside. The warps
take the image from the square <0,0,0> to <1,1,0>, so moving it up by 0.5*y
causes the seam to be positioned where the middle of the image was before.
The bottom half is filled in because the image_map generates an infinite
number of copies butted end to end, so you end up seeing the top half of one
copy and the bottom half of the original.

I don't think the orientation setting does what you think it does. When you
change it from z to -z, I think it just makes it look at the image from the
other side. You also seemed to have a lot more translations and rotations
than you need. Just by translating the image you can move both the
horizontal and vertical seams around the torus.

Regards,
Chris B.

camera {location <0,28,-204> look_at 0 }
light_source {<-1,30 ,-400>, rgb 3}

#local Torus_Radius = 64;
torus {Torus_Radius,20
  pigment {