POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paraniod : Re: Paraniod Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paraniod
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Jul 2008 15:13:38
Message: <486fc7e2$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 18:00:47 +0300, Eero Ahonen wrote:

> On a sysadmin job (or janitor, or any other really important
> caretaker-job) there exists that little something called "work ethics".

Exactly.  I think that's why I get so angry about unethical behaviour in
other jobs (and particularly in politics); if I behaved unethical in the
ways some of these other professions seem to allow, I'd be out of not
only a job, but a career.

But it's perfectly acceptable, for example, for the co-chair of a
committee for election for a particular candidate within a state to
*also* be the person to certify a vote in that same state.  That's just
mind-blowing to me.

Yet at the same time, one of my employers' ethics policies wouldn't let
me update a book I wrote because the book would compete with the class I
was teaching - and doing so, I would have been fired.  I also know of
situations where a conflict of interest existed like that in a private
sector job, and the person *was* fired.

Jim