POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paraniod : Re: Paraniod Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:25:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paraniod
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Jul 2008 15:01:35
Message: <486fc50f@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 22:07:48 +0200, andrel wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> You try coming up with a different strong password every month, *and*
>>> remembering it without writing it down.  I doubt I'm the only user of
>>> this system who needs to write the password somewhere.  I wonder if
>>> security would actually be improved by removing the 1 month expiry.
>>
>> There have been studies done that suggest that changes that are too
>> frequent reduce security for just this reason.
>>
> Do you have a pointer?

Let me see if I can find it....The study I recall was from about 6 years
ago.

http://www.rsa.com/blog/blog_entry.aspx?id=1286 is a more recent blog
entry on the topic; it's not the study I was thinking of (since it's
dated this year), but it explains the essence of what I recall from the
study in question.

Jim