POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Trace with pigments : Re: Trace with pigments Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trace with pigments
From: Chris B
Date: 5 Jul 2008 05:13:40
Message: <486f3b44$1@news.povray.org>
"Gyscos" <gys### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> But how would I do if I don't know the pigment of the object ?
> I only have an object "Obj", with a texture that I don't know...

I can't think of anything that would give you that.

The 'trace' function can give you a point on a the surface of an object and,
as Tim mentioned, the 'eval_pigment' function can give you the pigment's
colour value at that point. However, as you pointed out, you need to be able
to pass it a copy of the pigment or a pigment identifier (in the same way
that you need to pass the 'trace' function a copy of the object or an object
identifier).

As POV-Ray files are generally human-readable, can't you find the object
definition and extract a copy of the pigment component of that object's
texture? This could of course be difficult with layered textures.

Otherwise, what are you ultimately trying to achieve? It may be that someone
can recommend a different approach that works around this particular
problem.

Regards,
Chris B.