POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Design patterns : Re: Design patterns Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Design patterns
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 5 Jul 2008 03:17:00
Message: <486f1fec@news.povray.org>
news:486eda2e$1@news.povray.org...
> Is it me, or is the GoF book "Design Patterns" really over-hyped? Every
> time I hear it mentioned, it's along the lines of "wow, isn't it great
> they teach you all these tricks?"  When really, all they're doing is
> naming stuff that everyone does, most of which predates OO programming
> to start with.

I haven't read it, though I have read some other books on patterns, so this
is just my take.

Firstly, having standard names for things makes communication easier. System
designer can just say "I want you to use a Abstract Factory" and in theory
the developer nows exactly what to do.
I've seen patterns described as 'documented good practices'. They're
probably more useful for the average developer than for the gurus because
they show something that does work (if used in the right circumstances)