POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Sanity test of full installer : Re: Sanity test of full installer Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sanity test of full installer
From: Chris Cason
Date: 5 Jul 2008 01:41:06
Message: <486f0972$1@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote:
> The currently available file on the beta web page wouldn't go into my Vista
> computer so I had to do some system registry additions and font installs
> manually. I'm the sole user, administrator status.

I was able to install under Vista as an ordinary user (no admin). I had to
choose a different install path, and also had to click to ignore several
errors during install (where the installer attempts to do things like set
admin keys or install fonts - none of these are essential). No registry
editing was needed to get the installed program to work. I'm not sure what
went awry in your case.

NB the fonts in question are part of the standard POV-Ray include directory
and weren't even intended to be installed into Windows: I didn't realise
until I did the no-admin-rights Vista test that InstallShield automatically
installs any fonts it finds in the file set, unless you tell it otherwise.
At that point it was so late I decided not to make a new installer as the
fonts will be removed when the current beta is uninstalled.

-- Chris-