POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fun with cryptography : Re: Fun with cryptography Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fun with cryptography
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jul 2008 12:10:58
Message: <486e4b92@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> As does the fact that SSL and TLS both run over TCP, yet OpenVPN seems
> to be using UPD. That looks like a big enough deviation from the
> standard that I'm left wondering how many design decisions have been
> made with potential security implications.

Yes, exactly. That, and all the other things you might want to do (like
be behind a NAT) that OpenVPN doesn't handle.

Note that SSL and TLS are both technologically the same thing. The
difference is in provisioning. That is, it's SSL if you start the
protocol dance as soon as you open the port (because you're talking on
port 443 instead of port 80, for example). It's TLS if you open the
connection, do some negotiation, *then* start encrypting, such as with
BEEP or Secure SMTP or anything else that has a "STARTTLS" command.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: