POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Woohoo!!!! : Re: Woohoo!!!! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Woohoo!!!!
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 4 Jul 2008 11:56:14
Message: <486e481e@news.povray.org>
news:486ddbcb$1@news.povray.org...
> >> They have a winter at the equator??
> >
> > Huh?
>
> I was under the impression that at the equator there is little or no
> variation in weather conditions. (I.e., it's desert *all* year round.)

Actually, if you look at the climate of the places on the equator, it's more
like tropical forest. Hot and humid all year round. The deserts tend to be a
little further away.
The Sahara lies mostly between the 15 degrees N and 30 degrees N latitudes.
The Namib desert lies mostly around the 20-28 degrees S latitudes

In addition, I don't live at the equator. There's a reason the country is
called South Africa, not Central African Rebublic or Equatorial ... (both of
which do exist and do lie on the equator)

Johanesburg is somewhere around 2000 km south of the equator, at latitude 26
degrees 12 minutes South