POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paraniod : Re: Paraniod Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paraniod
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Jul 2008 06:24:29
Message: <486dfa5d$1@news.povray.org>
> Yeh that's probably more like it - I just know that if you forget your
> login password you can never get back your encrypted data.

Oh, you need only guess what the password is. ;-)

>> Do you know what the "use reversible encryption" tickbox in AD does? >:-D
>
> AD? I normally tick the box in "encrypt" box in the file properties window.

Active Directory. (The thing Windoze now uses to manage network user
accounts.)

There's a tickbox that allows legacy systems to interoperate with
Windoze. Legacy systems that require you to send the user's password in
the clear. What this option basically does is allow the sysadmin to know
what each user's password actually is. (Normally this isn't possible -
the server only stores a hash *of* the password, not the password itself.)

> You can outsmart a key logger by simply typing in part of your password,
> then clicking the pointer to move the cursor, and typing in another bit,
> click again etc.  But I guess
> then the admin can install a mouse and screen logger too ;-)

...exactly.

And if that doesn't work, a kernel-level debugger can see every octet of
data in the machine's main RAM and swap file. There really is no escape.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/