POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paraniod : Re: Paraniod Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paraniod
From: scott
Date: 4 Jul 2008 06:14:21
Message: <486df7fd$1@news.povray.org>
> What I suspect happens is that it's actually asymmetrically encrypted, and
> the decryption key is encrypted with your login password. That means if
> you change your login password, you gotta change one thing - the encrypted
> decryption key - and all your stuff is still accessible.

Yeh that's probably more like it - I just know that if you forget your login
password you can never get back your encrypted data.

>> Even if the admin can remotely log in, they won't be able to read your
>> encrypted files unless they somehow get your password.
>
> Do you know what the "use reversible encryption" tickbox in AD does? >:-D

AD? I normally tick the box in "encrypt" box in the file properties window.

> Now *that* could actually work. Especially if you use that password for
> nothing else. Now all the sysadmin needs to do is install a keylogger...
> oh, wait... ;-)

You can outsmart a key logger by simply typing in part of your password,
then clicking the pointer to move the cursor, and typing in another bit,
click again etc.  On my bank log-in I have to choose the numbers with the
mouse, exactly to avoid keyloggers working I guess.  But I guess then the
admin can install a mouse and screen logger too ;-)