POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay 3.7 maxes all 4 cores to 100% while rendering : Re: PovRay 3.7 maxes all 4 cores to 100% while rendering Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay 3.7 maxes all 4 cores to 100% while rendering
From: Alain
Date: 3 Jul 2008 20:01:14
Message: <486d684a$1@news.povray.org>
Stonefox nous illumina en ce 2008-07-02 01:36 -->
> Hi all,
>
> is it normal for PovRay 3.7 to max all of my 4 cores on an Intel Q9450 to 100%
> for the duration of the render?
>
> It does render stuff pretty quick (renders the advanced/balcony example in under
> a couple of minutes) but maxing everything at 100% is a tad worrying and the CPY
> temp rises along with it.
>
> On PovRay 3.6, when I render advanced/balcony it uses about 35% of the total CPU
> usage (Core1: 80%, core2: 30%, core3: 15%, core4: 15% [rough figures based on
> graph])
>
> The temp on the CPU hardly moves when using PovRay 3.6.
>
> Does this sound like a bug in 3.7?
>
> thanks

POV-Ray 3.7 have been made from the ground up to be able to exploit every and
all CPUs and cores available. It's one of the main object of the current
devlopment: to be able to harnest the full power of todays multicore CPUs.
So, it's use of all 4 cores at 100% is perfectly normal and working as intended.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you stop using a protractor to