POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paraniod : Re: Paraniod Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paraniod
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 3 Jul 2008 17:12:11
Message: <486d40ab$1@news.povray.org>
>> HDs were once of questionably reliability, but floppies are so
>> hopelessly unreliable it's not even worth thinking about!
>
> That (HD's unreliability) is what RAID is for.

Yeah, but I mean I can remember being warned not to move a computer
while it's turned on for fear of causing a head crash. Now they put them
in PORTABLE MP3 PLAYERS! (I must admit, I feel happier with the
solid-state ones...)

>> I mean, forget for a moment the fact that editing a Word document
>> stored on a floppy is 97% guaranteed to result in file corruption...
>
> I don't recall so, but if you'll take the floppy out before closing the
> document (and won't put it back in quickly enough), you'll have 100%
> sure corruption.

Yeah, that too.

But according to the Word MVP site, it's a very bad idea to edit files
on a flopy. Copy them to the HD, edit them, save, close, then copy back
to floppy. That's the recommendation anyway... [This probably only
applies to new versions of Word. Older ones were less accident-prone.]

>> A new document for each page?
>
> No, a new page for each document, ie. 5 letters on a floppy means a
> 5-page document.

Gah. I typed that the wrong way round... although thinking about it,
what I actually typed would be really weird too!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/