POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paraniod : Re: Paraniod Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paraniod
From: Tom Austin
Date: 3 Jul 2008 09:41:05
Message: <486cd6f1$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> "Hey Andrew, what's the best way to transfer these files from my old
> laptop to my new one? Use a couple of CDs?"
>
> "Oh, well why don't you just copy them into a network drive, and then
> copy that back to your new laptop? That'll be a lot easier than messing
> around with CDs."
>
> "Nice idea, but there's some files I'd rather not end up on the network,
> if you know what I mean. I'll just use CDs."

It could be that the files are illegal or could simply get the person
fired.  The person could simply consider some of the material highly
personal.

Copying to the network exposes those files outside the computer out of
the user's control.
Using a CD keeps it in their hands that they can control.
A CD can be destroyed much more quickly and directly than data on a
network server.  A network server may audit each file that it stores -
and heaved forbid the file get backed up - out of the user's control.

Call me paranoid, but I have 'rules' that I follow about what
connections I place between my home and work environments.  If I were in
his shoes I might come to the same conclusion.

Tom