POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Management perception : Re: Management perception Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Management perception
From: Tom Austin
Date: 3 Jul 2008 09:26:13
Message: <486cd375$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>> It is kinda like you taking care of the computer network.  People will
>> always second guess you and think you should do something different,
>> but they don't have the same perspective that you have.
>
> Most annoying when those "people" have superior rank to me and can
> overrule my decisions... :-/

But again, you don't know what all they need to consider when making
decisions.

What you might think as small and inconsequential can have repercussions
that a good manager needs to take care of.  Sometimes the manager cannot
discuss them due to confidentiality issues or the like.

That said, I am not defending poor management.

I've worked with plenty of jerks.
All they cared about was how big their head was.
If I didn't implement exactly what *they* thought I should, it was wrong
and I killed the cat.

Don't work under someone like that.

Just remember this...

Think about how annoying it is to have co-workers second guess your
decisions (I'm not talking about management here).
I bet you appreciate feedback when you miss something.  You actually
want that type of feedback - it helped you do a better job.
But those who disagree and grumble with your decisions are just annoying
and it hurts your relationship with them - both professionally and
personally - which hurts the company.

Now, how do you think a manager feels when you grumble about their
decisions.

Sometimes management makes a poor decision as a mistake - you do as
well.  But it does not make you incompetent.

Later...  Tom