POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How do you sort your closet? : Re: How do you sort your closet? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do you sort your closet?
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Jul 2008 13:02:23
Message: <486bb49f$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>> My brother puts all the spoons in one bucket in the dishwasher, all
>> the forks in another, etc, so he doesn't have to sort the utensils.
>> (Since I can empty the whole dishwasher in the time it takes to
>> re-nuke a cup of coffee, I don't really see the savings there.)
>
> Hmm. Sort the items in insertion. Sort the items on removal. Sounds like
> both algorithms should be of equal time complexity...

The difference is that it takes no additional time to sort them on
insertion, because they're already spread out and unsorted. During
insertion, you have to insert them one at a time because they're
physically spread out. During removal, they're all in the dishwasher
basket, going to all in the drawer.

Like, do you defrag the disk before you copy everything to a new disk,
or after?  If before, you only thrash the head around once.

>> On the other hand, I have two colors of socks: light and dark. When
>> they were out, I buy 20+ pairs of new socks all the same and use them
>> until too many wear out. I haven't sorted socks since high school.
>
> I could go for that.

I think I'm just still scarred from my experiences as a child, wherein I
would have to sort socks that were like 6 different shades of navy blue,
plus dark brown, dark grey, darker grey, black, mildly faded black, etc. :-)

> then we buy *one* pair. WTF? Why don't we just buy, say, 15 identical
> pairs? That way I wouldn't keep running out of trousers to wear!

Same here, except usually I only manage to find one in the pile.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: