POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Reflection across a plane.. : Re: Reflection across a plane.. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflection across a plane..
From: Warp
Date: 2 Jul 2008 12:23:19
Message: <486bab77@news.povray.org>
Kalloran <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Been playing with various aspects of POV-ray: manipulations of simple geometric
> shapes and such.  The one BASIC geometric transformation that I cannot find a
> command for is reflection.  The simple reflection of a geometric shape across a
> plane.  For instance, I'm if I'm creating a complex, but symmetrical object,
> should I not be able to only create half then reflect it across, say, the xy
> plane?  Any help in locating this command (if it exists) would be awesome.
> Thanks.

  What you can do if you have modelled, for example, exactly half of the
object so that it lies, for example on the yz plane on either one side of
it, and you want to copy it mirrored in the x direction, is:

#declare HalfObject = ...the half of the object...;
#declare WholeObject =
  union
  { object { HalfObject }
    object { HalfObject scale <-1, 1, 1> }