POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay 3.7 maxes all 4 cores to 100% while rendering : Re: PovRay 3.7 maxes all 4 cores to 100% while rendering Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:28:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay 3.7 maxes all 4 cores to 100% while rendering
From: Warp
Date: 2 Jul 2008 09:34:08
Message: <486b83cf@news.povray.org>
Stonefox <the### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> The whole idea of 3.7 is to max out every cpu to 100%?

  In the exact same way as the idea with previous versions has been to
max out a single cpu to 100%.

  What do you expect? POV-Ray is a rendering software. By default it uses
all the available resources.

> That doesnt do much for multitasking

  100% CPU usage doesn't mean that nothing else *can* use the CPU. It means
nothing else is *using* the CPU *currently*.
  I think this is a rather curious misconception some people seem to have.

  Just start another CPU-heavy program and you'll see that the OS nicely
shares the available CPU resources among them. POV-Ray doesn't have to
share CPU with anybody. The OS will force it to share.

  Also in most OSes you can set priorities to processes. If you give a low
priority to POV-Ray, it will take 100% when it can, but if some other process
requests the CPU, it will get more of it.

> not to mention the CPU heat rise.

  If your computer is built properly it should stand 100% CPU usage for
days continuously without problems.

> 3.6 Doesnt max 100% of 1 processor.

  Not because it would somehow deliberately avoid doing so. It's just that
the OS and other processes do something else at the same time, so POV-Ray
doesn't get everything.

> If its meant to do it, then fair enough, just seems a bit silly to take up every
> processor in the machine to render (at 100%)

  I honestly cannot understand how that is "silly". That's precisely the
whole idea in multithreaded rendering: To use *all* the available resources
to render faster. Most modern renderers do that, and if any renderer doesn't,
it's considered old.

  And you *can* make POV-Ray use less threads if you want. There's an option
for that.

--
                                                          - Warp