POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 26 is a no go : Re: Beta 26 is a no go Server Time
2 May 2024 17:12:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 26 is a no go
From: Chris Cason
Date: 1 Jul 2008 20:09:39
Message: <486ac743$1@news.povray.org>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> Chris Cason wrote:
>
>> We probably have no choice - with support files needed on a per-user basis,
>> we have to hook into the Windows Installer system to advise it that a
>> particular advertised installer component is required
>
> Can't you just check the existence of the INI file in POV-Ray
> and create one with default settings when missing on startup?

of course. in fact if you get beta 27 and erase the POV-Ray app data
directory then re-run the EXE you will see that this is precisely what it
does (in fact, the installer doesn't even have a pvengine.ini within it).

however that will not cause the ini, insert menu, and scene files to
materialise in the appdata dir ... all of these are categorised as being
items which the end-user could reasonably be expected to want to alter;
thus, they must be in their profile somewhere.

-- Chris