POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about English grammar : Re: Question about English grammar Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about English grammar
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Jul 2008 13:28:29
Message: <486a693d$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:57:34 -0500, Mueen Nawaz wrote:

> It would be better to say "none of these three *is* correct".

In the US, it's "is"; in the UK, it's "are".  US English, the verb
agreement is with "none", which is singular; in UK English, the verb
agreement is with "three", which isn't.

Similar to the reason why in the US we say "Microsoft is", and in the UK,
they say "Microsoft are".  UK English rules state that a corporation is a
collection of people, so it is by definition plural.  In the US, we treat
corporate entities as singular entities.

At least that's how it's been explained to me.

Jim