POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 26 is a no go : Re: Beta 26 is a no go Server Time
2 May 2024 23:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 26 is a no go
From: Chris Cason
Date: 1 Jul 2008 11:40:02
Message: <486a4fd2@news.povray.org>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> Actually, didn't they just want that configuration files
> should be stored under %APPDATA% in user-writable space,
> also allowing each user to configure separate options?

Well we never know what Microsoft really want;/

We do use 'Application Data' already; as of beta 26, it will look for the
tools INI file there (well, it's a start ...). Beta 27 however implements a
more significant split; ini, scenes, and insert menu end up in a POV-Ray
subdir of appdata.

> You could even implement the famous "Your system is now
> configuring POV-Ray for first time use" splash when a user
> starts it for the first time ;)

We probably have no choice - with support files needed on a per-user basis,
we have to hook into the Windows Installer system to advise it that a
particular advertised installer component is required (this would have been
provided when POV-Ray was initially installed). Windows Installer will then
install the user-specific files and registry settings.

NB this isn't implemented in the 3.7 beta 27 installed. It's planned for
the next one though.

-- Chris