POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Assistance with projection simulation required. : Re: Assistance with projection simulation required. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:27:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Assistance with projection simulation required.
From: Chris B
Date: 1 Jul 2008 09:59:49
Message: <486a3855$1@news.povray.org>
"Paul Bourke" <pau### [at] uwaeduau> wrote in message
>> How do you mean breaks down? Your model renders and the images are shown
>> overlapping on the dome when viewed from outside the dome.
>
> Not so.

Well I had thought that your camera #3 "side view" was from the outside, but
it wasn't.

I added a camera #4 that is outside:
  camera {
     location -9000*z
     look_at 0
  }
and I can now see the problem that you were describing.

The following scene file illustrates a very different approach, so I don't
know if it will serve your purposes at all. If so you'll need to adjust the
'projector' positions and the scene file orientation, scale etc. The
brightness of the overlaps won't be technically accurate (although you might
be able to average the pigments) and it won't emulate optical components in
the projectors (like mirrors), but it does solve the problem of the images
being visible from both the inside and the outside.

Otherwise photons may be able to do what you want. I've not yet had much
success with photons myself, so someone else would need to comment on
whether they can be used to model how the light shining from a projector
through a translucent image would fall on a screen.

Regards,
Chris B.

camera {location <0,0,-4> look_at 0 }
light_source {<-6,0 ,-4>, rgb 1}