POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My first nomogram : Re: My first nomogram Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My first nomogram
From: scott
Date: 1 Jul 2008 09:33:39
Message: <486a3233$1@news.povray.org>
>> "What I don't get is why you posted it here, really."
>
>  You are reading more than there is in my text.

OK I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and explain to you that in
English it is considered rude to give the *impression* of pretending
ignorance to undermine someone elses work.  Even if you really are ignorant,
don't write something that others may take as you pretending to be
ignorant - because you'll be labelled as rude and offensive.  If you are a
clever person, you need to be even more aware of this, as people will often
think you are pretending not to understand if you say so.

In this case Andrew clearly stated exactly what he had done and posted his
results.  People who read this ng regularly will have guessed that you
probably understood exactly what Andrew had done, yet you seemingly
pretended you "didn't get it" and asked "what else is there that i didn't
get".  That's rude, when there obviously isn't any more to it.

Another example, if you are seeing someone give a bad presentation, you
don't then ask at the end "please send me the final version when you've
finished it".  Or at a dinner party, you don't say after a small main course
"great starter, what's the main?".  I'm sure you can think of more examples,
maybe it's acceptable in Finnish?