POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Management perception : Management perception Server Time
10 Oct 2024 06:28:47 EDT (-0400)
  Management perception
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Jul 2008 06:36:17
Message: <486a08a1$1@news.povray.org>
[Yes, that's a contradiction.]

There's been a bunch of emails going round from our managers recently.
Apparently we had "a really excellent month" where our profits "vastly
exceeded the budget".

Gee, could this be because this month they had the budget set absolutely
as low as the policy makers would allow?

You know, I think it might be...

So they set the budget as low as they could possibly get away with, and
we actually made a bit more money than that. Woo-friggin-hoo. What's
gonna happen next month, when we're not moving buildings and the budget
is expecting us to produce "real" numbers?

For that matter, the top-management plan is to increase profits by 20%.
I have yet to hear anything about *how* this is supposed to happen.
They've muttered something about "oh, uh, yeah, we're going to hire more
sales staff". But so far, I've yet to see anybody hired.

What I *have* seen is that virtually every week we have a new lab worker
starting here. So we're hiring huge numbers of lab staff, but from what
I hear, our lab is a bit quiet at the moment. And there's not much
future work showing up on the horizon either.

So... uh... WTF?

We already have far more lab staff than we have lab equipment. And we
already have the lab running at below capacity. Adding more staff seems
to me as illogical as adding more CPU cores to solve a I/O-bound
problem. It's likely to hinder, not help. (All these new people have to
be trained, which means somebody has to stop doing their real job to
train them.)

It's a mad, mad world...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/