POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about English grammar : Re: Question about English grammar Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about English grammar
From: Warp
Date: 30 Jun 2008 15:46:31
Message: <48693817@news.povray.org>
> Mike the Elder wrote:
> > Other useful hints about English grammar:

> All three of these aren't correct.

  Btw, wouldn't it be better to say "none of these three are correct"?
As you wrote it, it's a bit ambiguous, as it could mean "at least one
of these is incorrect", giving the possibility that some of them are
correct.

> > ..... And NEVER begin sentences with conjunctions!

> "Pick up the keys. And pick up the newspaper. But don't pick up the cat."

> Never have a dependent conjunctive clause stand alone as if it is a
> sentence, is the actual rule.

> Good -> "But for Steve's quick thinking, we'd all be in jail."

> Bad -> "But not the busdriver."

  How about sentences where the initial conjunction is redundant? For
example: "And exactly how do you know that?" (The "and" could be removed
without changing the meaning of the sentence in any way.)

--
                                                          - Warp