POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Golden Compass movie : Re: The Golden Compass movie Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Golden Compass movie
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Jun 2008 13:32:50
Message: <486918c2$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Hmm. Yes and no. There are always scientists that opt to side with the
> lunatic fringe and only use the science when/if it helps that agenda.

Well, I was speaking of Laura's father. I suppose there were a number of
other "scientists" in the book that weren't so clear-cut.

> Someone had to make, for example, the alethiometer,

It just seemed very contrived to me, is all. Breaking willing suspension
of disbelief, that none of the scientists opposed to the Magesterium
actually knew how the magic worked either.

I'd like to see fictional books that pit science against religion
realistically, you know, where like science works reliably and people
know why, kind of thing.

> Ah. Yes, those. But it does involve dust anyway, since there its "that"
> which they feed on, in the end.

I couldn't figure out wtf they were feeding on, but now that you mention
it, yeah, makes perfect sense. Duh on me.

> Its unclear how you show this, without "inventing" a
> lot of silly fantasy elements to "replace" the existing silly ones.

Not while making it amusing for children, I suppose, yes.

> The knife simply wasn't subtle enough. ;)

Heh.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: