POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Wire View : Re: Wire View Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wire View
From: Blue Herring
Date: 30 Jun 2008 08:57:34
Message: <4868d83e$1@news.povray.org>
Gyscos wrote:
> It might work with convex objects. But if there is a hole inside the object, I
> may never find it with trace.
> Besides, from where would I "send" the trace vectors ? It would need to be from
> outside the object, but I don't know the size of the object... (ok, we could add
> a size parameter to the macro...)

I don't know if this will help your larger problem, but you can find the
size (or at least the bounding box size) of an arbitrary object using
the min_extent and max_extent functions.

For example:
#declare Size = max_extent(Obj) - min_extent(Obj);

This gets a 3D vector with the x, y, and z sizes.  When the bounding box
of the object doesn't match the actual object very well, the results can
be inaccurate, but for many objects it does the trick.

--
-The Mildly Infamous Blue Herring