POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random thought for the weekend : Re: Random thought for the weekend Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random thought for the weekend
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 30 Jun 2008 08:29:51
Message: <4868d1bf@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:

> it a non localized (and ununderstood) physical change. Then your brain
> starts processing the 'We'. First the retina sees a set of lines and
> curves by adjusting the voltages over several cells. Then the brain
> decodes the 'W' and the 'e' and various voltages of cells in the cortex
> are adjusted. That goes to the next level where they are combined and
> you become aware that a group is meant that includes at least the writer
> and possibly yourself. Only after decoding the whole sentence you know
> that with 'We' mankind is meant, possibly even the entire fauna (plus
> flora). This is followed by a response of disapproval, resulting in the
> release of stress hormones. That in turn is then followed by the

That reminds me of something I read recently, dealing with parallelism,
neural nets, and brains. They did scans of someone's brain as it was
working. What was interesting was when something new was perceived, it
would start as chaos, then eventually settle into a pattern of neurons
firing. All of the processing that happens is massively parallel. I wish
I could remember all of the details involved, but it was a fascinating
document.