POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Wire View : Re: Wire View Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wire View
From: Chris B
Date: 30 Jun 2008 08:24:33
Message: <4868d081@news.povray.org>
"Gyscos" <gys### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> ShapeGrid and GrideLines seem interesting, I'll have a look at it...
> But this will not work with totally random shapes, such as blob trees from
> TOMTREE or meshes imported from Blender or any other software...

There would be a problem if you need the lattice to cover only the surface
layer because using a scaled down copy to do a 'difference' wouldn't
deliver.

Another alternative, depending on your precise needs would be build a
lattice work of crossing cylinders and use 'intersection' to give you a sort
of framework structure, a bit like the frame inside the statue of liberty
and electricity pylons, except that you'd have little jutting out bits where
some cut cylinders are only joined at one end. You could do a fine-lined
generic one or you could exercise a degree of artistic control. For example,
with a tree you could build a matrix of thicker cylinders in the centre at
the base and thinner cylinders as it rises up and spreads out away from the
core.

> I guess the real universal way is the grid texture... Bah, it's not that
> bad ^^

I think so, this would give you a wider range of patterns to choose from.

Regards,
Chris B.