POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : mean : Re: mean Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mean
From: Warp
Date: 29 Jun 2008 16:58:17
Message: <4867f769@news.povray.org>
bluetree <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Aren't FPS more interesting, when played online pvp?

  I find it quickly rather boring.

  Usually online FPS games consist of a ridiculously small level where
either everyone kills everyone else, or in a few cases a team kills
the other team. Over and over. Hundreds of times. Always in the same
ridiculously small level. (Yeah, sure, there exist dozens of different
multiplayer levels, but in a typical server it takes like 4 hours for
it to change the level.)

  Counter Strike style online FPS games have a slightly more interesting
idea in that there could be, at least in theory, a bit of teamplay and
team tactics. But that works only if you have a well-established group
of friends and have played with them for a long time. If you just pop in
into a random server, it doesn't really matter what you do. There's not
much difference from a everyone-against-everyone game (with the only
exception that you shouldn't shoot people of your own team).

  The online game which I have played the most (but not anymore in a
rather long time) is batmud, where I got to level 50. The difference
to FPS online games is that the world is *huge*, teams are true teams
(because of the game mechanics), and there's a lot to do. OTOH, batmud
in particular becomes a bit boring because you just can't solo there
(especially not if you are a low level), because you will simply die
quickly. Team-playing often consists of level-grinding and looting,
and that's about it. Forget about actual roleplaying.

  From what I have seen, Word of Warcraft is a bit like that, but fully
graphical, so maybe I could enjoy that for a while if I really wanted
to try it. OTOH, I'm pretty certain I would get bored of it relatively
quickly.

--
                                                          - Warp