POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Golden Compass movie : Re: The Golden Compass movie Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Golden Compass movie
From: Warp
Date: 29 Jun 2008 03:44:38
Message: <48673d66@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> The success of the Spiderman and Fantastic 4 films

  The success of the Spiderman movie I can somewhat understand (although,
honestly, it still shows a bit of the chaotic quality of the collective
human mind why exactly that movie was so popular and not many other
equally good movies; and by the third movie the entire series has got
really, really tired, IMO), but the Fantastic 4 movie I really can't
understand. In my opinion it was dull, unimaginative, without any kind
of novelty, lacked good character development almost completely and its
script had the depth of a teaspoon. (And the coolest character in the
whole movie, Dr Doom, was shown in full costume for less than a minute,
which is something absolutely incomprehensible.)

  Too many of these movies based on popular comics seem to be written
assuming that people already know the comics in question very well.
This inevitably causes the movies to feel kind of fast-forwarded, with
relevant character (and other) development compressed, if not even
completely skipped. It's like "everybody knows who character X is anyways,
so there's no need to spend a half an hour on showing his personality and
history." This usually results in a rather shallow and unimaginative
average action movie.

--
                                                          - Warp