POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random thought for the weekend : Re: Random thought for the weekend Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random thought for the weekend
From: stbenge
Date: 28 Jun 2008 17:34:30
Message: <4866ae66$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Information (most prominently written information) is still something
> which puzzles me at a conceptual, philosophical or whatever level I can't
> really determine.
>
>   Paper and ink is just that, paper and ink. There's nothing else there
> than paper and ink. Yet there can be: If there is, for example, some
> written text, there is *something* else than just paper and ink there.
> It's what is commonly called "information". I simply can't get a mental
> grasp of what exactly that is, at the lowest conceptual level possible.
> It's something that is and is not there, at the same time. It transfers
> something from person to person, something which isn't physical. If it
> isn't physical, how can it "exist" at all?
>
>   When I think about written information like that, it starts sounding
> really, really whacky.

Here's an oversimplification. Entropy is an advanced state of matter and
energy within a closed system (the universe). Literature is the result
of human action, which is the result of entropy. Advanced states of
matter and energy can relate to other advanced states of energy and
matter. I believe conscious thought (human or not) to be *the* most
advanced state of energy and matter present in the universe.

Sam