POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Golden Compass movie : Re: The Golden Compass movie Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Golden Compass movie
From: stbenge
Date: 28 Jun 2008 17:05:53
Message: <4866a7b1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I'm not really sure what I expected when I rented this movie, but I really
> didn't expect it to be boring.

I saw it too, and yeah, it wasn't the best. I did not find the plot
confusing, but the ending left me wondering if they were going to
release a second or third installment.

I thought the focus on religion's habit of misdirecting the public for
personal gain was somewhat refreshing. There is obviously some truth in it.

>   Is it just me, or is Hollywood trying lately to cash on the success of
> the LotR movies by making tons of similarly-themed fantasy movies based
> on random fantasy books? Take a more or less successful fantasy book,
> pour staggering amounts of money to produce a movie from it, and success
> is guaranteed? For me the whole thing is getting tiresome.

It's not just you, I feel the same way. Hollywood movie-makers tend to
stick to winning formulas, to increase sales and reception. On the same
note, they also keep using tired music and mood harmonies, because they
work. An prime example of this is the soundtrack for the Matrix trilogy.
The mood harmonies for those movies have been around since the late 80s,
maybe even the 70s. You would think that for such a unique plot concept,
the movie producers would at least come up with an original soundtrack.
Some brilliant techno/indie pieces would have worked wonders for that
series.

Sam