POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My first nomogram : My third nomogram: RENDER TIME! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:27:31 EDT (-0400)
  My third nomogram: RENDER TIME!
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 28 Jun 2008 16:35:30
Message: <4866a092$1@news.povray.org>
Wondering how long that animation is going to take to complete?

Don't wonder any more! Look at my shiny nomogram! :-D

Mark the number of frames to be rendered on the right-hand scale. Mark
approximately how many seconds each frame takes to render on the
left-hand scale. Draw a straight line through both these points. The
place where this line crosses the middle scale tells you how long your
render will take. I even did all the hard work of converting between
seconds, minutes, hours and, yes, days - because we all know renders
*do* take days!

In case you missed it: I am *seriously* pleased with myself right now.

Most especially, I spent _literally_ hours fidgetting and fussing over
the tick marks on the scale. The right-hand scale just goes up in units
of 10 (with only integers marked), but the other two scales are times,
and times go up in multiples of 60 and 24 - which don't have a
particularly simple ratio. I spent ages and ages seeing how tight the
tick marks can be to still fit the labels, changing the tick widths to
try to make the scales as unambiguous as possible, and generally trying
to make it look pretty. I think I'm quite happy with the result...

Oh, and by the way... I'm doing a series of renders with 250 frames
each. So at 5 seconds/frame, it takes about 20 minutes, if the render
time rises to a mere 15 seconds/frame, it will take an entire hour to
complete, and by the time you exceed 30 seconds/frame, you're talking
about multiple hours.

The really nice thing is that I can also read it backwards and see that
if I leave my PC running for a 10 your day, each frame must take less
than 2 minutes if the entire render is to be finished by the time I get
home.

Note that the Electric Sheep system seems to spend about 15 minutes *per
frame*. That means that a 140-frame "sheep" constitutes about 1.5 *days*
of computer time. Eeeps!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Attachments:
Download 'nomogram-rendertime2.pdf' (11 KB)