POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh what joy! : Re: Erasure Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Erasure
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Jun 2008 15:09:29
Message: <48668c69$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Actually, that would be a pretty cool feature for a hard drive: an
> external button that, when pressed, caused the drive to overwrite itself
> with random data.

I've seen drive enclosures with a USB key that has an encryption key on
it, so everything on the whole drive is automatically encrypted with the
key.  I was thinking of getting one until someone actually analyzed it
and figured out it was doing the equivalent of ROT-13 with the drive.

Advertised as using AES for encryption, it just used AES for generating
the key, said key then being xored identically with every sector read or
written on the disk. Feh.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: