POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : License agreements : Re: License agreements Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:13:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: License agreements
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 27 Jun 2008 17:46:25
Message: <48655fb1$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Depends on where you download it from.  If you download it from MSDN,
>> it's perfectly legal.
>
> If you can download it from MSDN, you've already agreed to the license
> when you signed up for MSDN.
>
> It really is pretty simple. :-)

Not true for me, anyways.

I can download XP just fine with just my campus login information
through the local mirror. Actually, I think almost anyone could, if they
found the mirror's address. It might block to local ISPs or VPN only, I
stopped paying attention at some point.

Getting the license key for XP, however, requires clicking through a
license agreement on the MSDN page. I am free to do just about anything
with that CD image...burn it, draw pictures on the burned CDs, hang them
from a car mirror...but until I agree to the license, both on MSDN and
on the installer, I am not licensed to use XP.