POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Point Cloud to Mesh / DXF Creation : Re: Point Cloud to Mesh / DXF Creation Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:41:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Point Cloud to Mesh / DXF Creation
From: Alain
Date: 27 Jun 2008 12:33:48
Message: <4865166c$1@news.povray.org>
The Blind Ace nous illumina en ce 2008-06-26 18:36 -->
> I was looking at Chris Colefax's compressed mesh.
>
> Now, I want to start converting some point clouds to meshes.
>
> That gave me the idea of converting some point clouds in to meshes. I wanted to
> find out if there were any tutorials that are the first steps to converting
> point clouds to meshes.
>
> Then a description of compressing the meshes.
>
> Thanks
> James

Converting an arbitrary cloud of points into a mesh is a non-trivial problem. In
most cases, it just can't be automated. Even some of the simplest cases, all
points roughly limited to a mostly planar area, will give unexpected results,
giving you spikes and holes.

--
Alain
Politics is such a torment that I advise everyone I love not to mix with it.