POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rounding : Re: rounding Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rounding
From: Slime
Date: 27 Jun 2008 01:52:48
Message: <48648030@news.povray.org>
>> But a result which is not necessarily the same each time you calculate
>> the
>> answer using the same dataset as input.
>
>  You should never rely on getting an exact result when calculating with
> floating point numbers anyways.

But don't a number of video games, RTS's in particular, rely on getting
exactly the same results when given the same input? I believe the IEEE
standard specifies deterministic rounding (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_754#Rounding_floating-point_numbers ),
which is probably why they work. Round-to-even has basically the same
properties as the random method you gave.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]