POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : code readability : Re: code readability Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: code readability
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 26 Jun 2008 17:53:59
Message: <48640ff7$1@news.povray.org>
Halbert wrote:
> How about Microsoft's engineers starting the whole Hungarian Notation
> convention with Windows programing. (like lpstrFilePath or iRecursion, etc.)
> There seems to be no set standard to it. While the intention is good,  a
> beginner may have wonder why some variables have names like lpszDemung or
> lpfnCBack.
>
> --

I do camel case with lowercase leading letters in my code. It's just how
I name functions. Classes, objects, templates, etc get a leading capital
letter, so do most instances of objects in C++.

Last group project class I was in, one teammate complained about it. He
liked code written his way only, and since I was the debugger of the
group he really didn't like my edits. He told me I could use any other
convention I liked, but I was not to state with a leading lowercase
without a reason. I offered to start with lowercase letters for
Hungarian Notation. Very quickly, my normal method of naming was allowed
to remain untouched.

It was sad that I had to explain why I was laughing and he was panicking
to the third member of our group.