POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh what joy! : Re: Oh what joy! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh what joy!
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Jun 2008 14:18:01
Message: <4863dd59$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I'm told if you take the drive apart, you can take advantage of slight
> tracking errors in the read/write heads that allows traces of old
> signals to remain present at the margins of each track.

Yes. That's why the DoD doesn't actually erase disks that contain
*really* sensitive information. Unless you consider a grinding stone
"erasing".

> ....or just incinerate the platters? (Heat tends to disrupt magnetic
> domains rather efficiently - as does the platters being reduced to
> molten glass and deformed beyond recognition!)

No, I believe the actual rule is "grind off the surface, then dissolve
the platters."

> It's more the fact that the drives had licenced software on them that
> other people shouldn't have...

Right. Simple overwriting is enough. Like all security, the point is to
make it more expensive to recover the data than the data is worth.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: