POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rounding : Re: rounding Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rounding
From: Slime
Date: 26 Jun 2008 02:30:10
Message: <48633772$1@news.povray.org>
>  Why would rounding it to -4 be more correct? 3.5 is equally close to
> either value.

There's an arbitrary rule that you round up for .5, according to my third
grade teacher. =) I just mentioned that in case it's something someone cares
about. It doesn't bother me because I've never encountered a practical
situation where it mattered.

However, I've always assumed the reason for the rule was that the original
number might have been truncated from something higher than the .5 value,
like .53. I suppose this *could* be a practical consideration if your input
is from a user who might have truncated the number.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]